The Arkansas Inland Maritime Museum is committed to providing Arkansas teachers with a wide variety of lesson plans and other resources.
All AIMM lesson plans have been designed to meet specific Arkansas curriculum standards and may be downloaded and reproduced without restriction.
Educator Activity Booklet is a booklet that introduce students to what submarines are and how they work. There are four main subject areas covered: English Language Arts, Math, Science, and Geography for Kindergarten through 12th Grade. These activities work best to prepare for a field trip to the museum or to follow up after the field trip.
Water Exploration Booklet includes activities designed to be included with educators’ geography lesson plans. These activities can be used by educators throughout the continental United States for students Kindergarten through 12th Grade.
World War II Unit World War II: The Pacific Theater6-12 is a unit plan for 6th-12th Graders. This unit plan covers 5 days. This unit plan includes a board game, primary source documents, interactive websites, and a project for students to better understand World War II in the Pacific.
AIMM Lesson Plans
- Using Primary Sources – WWII U.S. Navy Submarine Service Recruiting PostersWWII_Submarine_Recruiting_Posters
- The Role of Geography – The U.S. and the Republic of Turkey
- Cooking in a Closet – Economics
If you have any questions about AIMM Lesson Plans, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- AIMM Scavenger Hunt - How many questions can you find the answers for? (Solutions available upon request, or by visiting the museum)
- Museum Submarine Crossword Puzzle (Online) - How many do you know?
- Museum Submarine Crossword Puzzle (PDF)
- American Submarine History (Online)
- American Submarine History (PDF) Answer Keys are available upon request
Links to other Lesson Plans
Please note that the following sites offer a variety of lesson plans that may, or may not, have specific National curriculum standards identified.
- National Geographic Lesson Plans:
- Submarines: The Classroom Fleet (Grades K-2)
- Submarines: The Journey of K-19 (Grades 3-5)
- Submarines: A Heated Competition in a Cold War (Grades 6-8)
- Submarines: Underway on Nuclear Power (Grades 9-12)
- Ocean Exploration Museum (Grades 3-5)
- Sluething for a Lost Ship (Grades 6-8)
- Life at Sea: Careers in Marine Science (Grades 6-8)
- Using Maps in Ocean Research (Grades 6-8)
- A Pirate’s Life (Grades K-2)
- Pirate Map (Grades 3-5)
- Pirate Archaeology (Grades 6-8)
- Piracy: A Continuing Problem (Grades 9-12)
- The Legacy of Pearl Harbor (Grades 3-5)
- Mysteries of the Deep: Life Sized Drawing (Grades 5-=8)
- Mysteries of the Deep: Leaky Seal (Grades 5-8)
- U.S. Department of Energy Lesson Plans
- Can It Carry Cargo? (Grades 2-3)
- Dive Right In (submarine in a soda bottle) (Grades 2-3)
This list of lesson plans was originally developed by Stephanie Bayless, AIMM Museum Intern