USS Hoga History (Click to Read)

Construction

USS Hoga (YT-146), a 325-ton Woban class harbor tug, was built at the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corporation shipyard in Morris Heights, NY. She was placed in service in May 1941. Hoga served in the Pearl Harbor area throughout World War II.

Pearl Harbor Attack

Hoga is best known for her actions during the Pearl Harbor attack. Getting underway within 10 minutes after the first bombs fell, she went to work rescuing sailors in the water, fighting fires, and pulling ships out of harm’s way. Hoga pulled the repair ship USS Vestal away from USS Arizona‘s burning hulk, assisted the damaged minesweeper USS Oglala and the battleship USS Nevada. She fought fires on the Nevada as well as the battleships USS Maryland, USS Tennessee, and USSArizona. In all, Hoga spent 72 continuous hours fighting fires.

For her work, Hoga, her commanding officer, and his crew received a commendation from ADM Chester A. Nimitz, Commander in Chief of the Pacific Fleet.

World War II Service

Following the attack, Hoga was pressed into additional duty clearing debris and assisting with salvage efforts on the many sunken and damaged vessels. She also continued her primary duty of assisting vessels into and out of their berths.

Post War Service

In June 1948, she was loaned to the City of Oakland, California, for service as a fireboat. Hoga remained in loan status for nearly five decades, serving as the City of Oakland. In December 1996 Hoga was transferred to the Maritime Administration for storage.

Historic Significance Recognized

She received National Landmark Status on 30 June 1989 while still serving as the fireboat City of Oakland.

On July 28, 2005, the US Navy officially transferred Hoga to the City of North Little Rock.  For updates on USS Hoga’s status please visit the frequently asked questions page.

The yard tug USS Hoga is named after the Sioux Indian word for “Fish”.

Construction Details

Builder: Consolidated Shipbuilding Corporation
Morris Heights, NY
Authorized: June 18, 1940
Keel Laid: July 25, 1940
Launched: December 31, 1940
Accepted: May 22, 1941

Physical Characteristics

Construction: Welded Steel
Length: 99′ 9″
Beam: 25′ 7″
Draft: 10′ 7″
Displacement: 350 Tons